Who Is Eligible for SMDEP?
To be eligible for SMDEP, an applicant must:
- be currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore
- have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5;
- be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa;
- not have previously participated in SMDEP.
Other factors considered in the admissions process include whether an applicant:
- identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented
in medicine and/or dentistry (as defined independently by each
- comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background;
- has demonstrated interest in issues affecting underserved populations;
- submits a compelling personal statement and strong letters
Each SMDEP site makes its admissions decisions on a "first
come, first served" basis, therefore applying as early as possible
increases your chance of being selected at your designated program
Students should contact their school's health professions advisor or career
counselor for advice on choosing which summer to apply to SMDEP and for other
information about a career in the health professions.